Working for yourself is rewarding on so many levels and everyone has their reasons for doing so. I know a lot of people who want to be professional photographers, they even have a great amount of talent at photography but they never take the plunge and decide to really take a stab at it. Instead, I listen to them as they tell me about how they hate their regular 9-5 job, how badly their boss treats them or how they are worried about unemployment. Even worse is when they tell me how they never spend time with their families, how they have alienated themselves from their spouse or their kids have grown to resent them because they are never around due to work.
So why do people hesitate to work for themselves? Fear of failure? Fear of not having medical insurance? Fear of not getting large orders? My advice to you is to kick fear in the ass! Take risks and think about the benefits of what could happen if you do succeed! Of course, you want a plan in place, you don’t want to leave your family without your much needed income, but take life by the reigns and make it happen! Imagine what life could be like if you took that plunge and started living life the way you wanted to. Can’t imagine it for yourself? Keep on reading because I’ve got 9 reasons to share with you on why you should own your own home based photography business.
1. You determine your level of income. In your regular 9-5 salaried job you go in for a set number of hours and you get paid a set dollar amount. Working harder doesn’t get you any more money in most cases. You can’t even say to yourself, I want to make $xxx and I’m not going to stop until I get there. If you own a home based photography business, you set that magic number! How much do you want to make? What is enough to make you and your family satisfied with your level of living? Of course, it will take work to get to whatever you want to achieve, but there is no limit! The more you work for yourself and more you try to attain your goal, the more success you will have. Don’t work for “the man” all of your life and let him decide how much food you put on your table. Work for yourself and set your own salary!
2. You get to set your own schedule. When you work for someone else, they decide what your schedule is. Can you call into your job today and say “I think I’m going to come in around noon and take off by about 3”? Of course not! They own your schedule, not you. When you own your business, you decide what hours you want to work. You decide how often and how for how long you want to work. If you want to take Fridays off, you set that up for yourself and you take Fridays off! Working for yourself means you can work when you want and take all of that “off” time and spend it doing what you want to do most.
3. You can work in your pajamas! Show up in your favorite Tweety Bird pajama’s at your current job and report back to me what happens. Do you even dare? Well, try working from your own home based business and you can wear whatever you want! Alright, if you are going to see a client, I would suggest perhaps a pair of jeans and a sweater, but that is completely up to you. But sitting at home, editing your latest session, you can sip on a cup of hot chocolate, chill out in your sweats and sport your favorite toe socks. The sky is the limit when you own your own business.
4. You can beat up your boss and not get fired. That’s right, you really can. There are days when I get so mad at my boss I just want to choke her out. There are also days when I have to kick her butt out of bed and yell at her for staying up too late the night before. Many times I will look my boss in the mirror and tell her to stop being lazy, stop letting customers walk all over her and get on track to being more productive. But I love my boss; we do everything together, so I try not to beat her too often. Can you say the same for your regular 9-5 boss?
5. You can spend more time with your family. Back in 2002, before I become a photographer, I was a mother of three and worked at a very large corporation in a 9-5 job. My three small children rarely saw me. I would get home at around 6 and they would be in bed by 8. Is two hours a day really all the time I wanted to spend with my children? Of course not! I wanted to be there so badly to see my oldest get off the bus from 1st grade, or to watch my toddler try to eat her cheerios every morning at breakfast. Owning your own business means you can spend as much time with your family as you want. You will never have to miss an important or even an unimportant event again.
6. Pay day can be every day. With regular jobs, we all look forward to every other Friday when we get our paychecks. But imagine owning your business and having the possibility of making sales every single day and it’s all yours. Rake in that $2500 portrait sale and should you choose, you don’t have to wait until next Friday to take advantage of that sale. Take a bit of that profit and bring your family out to dinner to celebrate it!
7. You will no longer slowly lose your soul from fluorescent lights. Alright, take a laugh. But for those who are working in offices with large fluorescent lights keeping things alive (or dead depending on how you view those things) the ability to work at home by window light or even a regular household lamp is a huge advantage!
8. You get to think outside the box. No, this isn’t a form of creative writing for coming up with unique ideas. I mean this literally! Get the heck out of that box you work in! Cubicles are like cages. Cages are for animals, not humans. Run, don’t walk, away from the box and into your living room and get your business going!
9. You can do whatever it is that you want. That’s right. It’s your business. You own it. You control it and set the rules. If it’s the middle of the day and want to grab the kids to head out for an impromptu lunch with mom or dad, you can do it! If you feel like taking a day off and going bungee jumping, suit up baby because you don’t need vacation time or a boss’s approval. This is your business, your life and you can do whatever you want with it!