Link building is probably the most important thing you can do to increase traffic to your website. It is among the top things that search engines look for when ranking a website. Yes, it does take a lot of work and yes it can be frustrating waiting for the search engines to catch those websites with links to your website, but in the end, everything you do will pay off and turn into higher traffic for you. If you aren’t sure how to start building up your backlinks, here are just a few tips to start you off.
1. Give other blogs a reason to link back to you. Blog owners are always on the prowl for new content and if you can provide something useful to them, they will link to it. Articles such as this one would be a great way to get information out in the world and will also set you up as an authority in your industry. Many times you will have the full article posted with an “author” bio which should include a link back to your website, but if possible, try to get a “partial” section of your article to be posted, with a link to the full article located on your website. This will ensure a higher click-thru rate to your website.
2. Create a list of resources that others may want to share with their website visitors. For example, if you offer wedding photography services, you might include a very useful list of wedding vendors for your area that your own customers might use in planning their wedding. For the purpose of backlinking, the vendors that are included in that list may also wish to post that same list for their customers to take advantage of. Just be sure that you are on that list and that you are given a credit near the bottom of the list with a link to your website.
3. Write about other businesses or individuals either in a review style or as a “what’s new” type post on your blog that will highlight that business. Be sure to send them a link to what you wrote about them. Many times, these businesses will post on their own website about what you wrote and may include a link back to your website. Wedding venues, cake decorators and DJ’s are great choices to review.
4. Search engines are great but don’t forget directories as well. These are organized by category and are a perfect way to get permanent links to your website. Check out DMOZ.com as a starting directory and then head over to Google.com and search for more directories to submit to.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask your friends and family for help too. Enlist them to help you out by tagging your content on such websites as Digg.com and StumbleUpon.com. The more tags you get the better chance you have of getting more people to see your content and possibly linking to it.
6. Be sure that if you frequent any website forums that you are including your website link in your signature. Be sure not to spam forums, instead leave informative and quality responses. Readers of these forums will often time follow links in signatures which can lead to more links when they see what you can offer to them. You will also want to be sure that vendors are allowed to post on the forums to be sure you don’t get yourself banned.
7. Hold a contest or a giveaway. People love to win free stuff. By posting about your contest on your blog, your readers may in turn tell their readers about your contest and link to your contest page. On top of those who find it on your blog, you can submit the website link to online news reporters who may in turn write a piece up about your contest and share it with their readers.
8. Review products through information articles on your website. These reviews should come from firsthand experience and link to either the product maker’s website or to an affiliate link URL.
9. Write an article that can be posted on your blog but something general enough that could be helpful to people outside of your local area. Not sure what to write about? How about “How to choose your wedding photographer”, “10 Things to look for in a Child Photographer”, or “How to preserve your photographers”. All of these would make great general information articles. Take those helpful articles and submit them to article directories such as eZinearticles.com, ultimatearticledirectory.com or articlepros.com. These are already popular websites that are ranked high in Google and by linking to them, you are helping yourself to their success!
10. Make more blogs. What? That’s right, you can make duplicate blogs for free on various blogging websites. These free blogs you make are designed simply to build a backlink to your website and are not intended for you to keep up to date with information. Write a simple article such as “Why ABC Photography Should be Your Photographer in my city, NY”. Duplicate that article with a related image, a link to your website, your youtube.com channel anything else you would like to include on this “blog” that relates to your business. Be sure to submit your custom URL to the blog to Google and other search engines when you are finished.
Where to submit your articles: