There are a variety of professional organizations you can join to help you in your career as a photographer. No, these organizations aren’t necessarily going to help you directly to gain new clients for your business but there are a number of reasons why you should join professional photography organizations including:
- Offering a network and community of other photographers that you can grow with and learn from. Remember most of the people in these organizations are running a photography business as well and will face the same struggles and challenges as you will face in your own business.
- Provide many opportunities to help you further your technical and artistic talents through the organization’s photo competitions as well as critiques from fellow members and mentors.
- Keep your skills current and up to date through workshops and classes that many organizations offer. Some photography organizations even offer online videos that you can take advantage of.
- Many organizations offer special programs for group insurance programs as well as legal benefits that you may need later in your business.
- Clients love seeing these organizations on your websites or in your store windows and may come to associate your business with a certain level of professionalism or qualifications.
Joining a professional photography organization isn’t required of course, but it can be a great asset to your photography business. Photography organizations are vast in level and areas they cover from city to international. Some are oriented towards portrait photographers, editorial, commercial, etc. and may be geared towards the absolute entry level photographer to veterans. To get you started here is our list of the top photography organizations.
Photography Organizations You Can Join
American Photographic Artists
American Society of Media Photographers
American Society of Picture Professionals (ASPP)
National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
Photographic Society of America (PSA)
Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
Professional Photographers of Canada
The Society for Photographic Education
Wedding and Portrait Photographers International (WPPI)
Wedding Photojournalist Association